Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On the Beach

Amazing things wash up on this beach!  
Today I spent most of the day following  up on those scents wafting through the windows.  First I spy a white object surging back and forth with the tide and run to grab it before the it slides back into the Ocean.  What a find!  A light shell with many legs--even more then me!  She says it is a crab that has long been picked over by Herrmann's and Western gulls or perhaps Black-crowned Night Herons who have callously left their prey adrift in the surf.  I leave this crab carcass behind and continue moving down the surfline, she following with a watchful eye, not trusting that I won't eat everything in sight.  I must pause here to dispel a fiction she and he perpetuate; contrary to 2-legged-lore, Labs are discriminating eaters!  To arrive at such pinnacles of taste, 4-leggeds must sample along the way, something 2-leggeds have yet to grasp.


Further down the coastline and higher on the sand dunes, she locates something buried in the sand and I quickly rush to sniff.  What is it?  She moves the sand gently back with her shoe but I can't wait and start digging it out.  Despite her attempts to slow me down, I rapidly uncover  what he says is part of a seal fin. Perhaps like those sunbathing on the point?  She stops me from bringing this find home and attempts to distract me with other finds in the area.  With a pull on my collar she has made it clear that this treasure won't be coming home with us today.  
Still, I know where it is and the days are long.

Anyways, as I continue my exploratory journey this day I rescue from the surf a brackish colored leafy plant on a long stem uprooted from the depths of the ocean.  Days later I learn that a common name for this is Sea Palm.  


I think it looks like a pom-pom-to-go.  I have much fun with this Sea Palm and prefer to retrieve it rather than a stick or a flippy while I'm on the beach.  2-leggeds have no idea how much fun these slippery trees are.  Best of all, no bark to choke on or get got in my teeth!  No splinters in my tongue.  Sea Palms are easily tossed into the air and shaken side-to-side with much affect.  Chasing her and him with a Sea Palm with the intent of slapping its wetness against their legs provides hours of entertainment for me.  She is not thrilled.  He keeps trying to throw it back into the sea.  It keeps coming back, whether I get it or not.

2 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

You are amazingly perceptive. And, might I add, a fine teller of tales (not to be mistaken with tails, of which you're a fine sniffer).

Blue Moon said...

Thank you Mr. 2-headed 2-legged. No dog is worth his salt unless he can spin a yarn longer than his own tail.