Friday, July 4, 2008

Sights, Sounds, and Smells of Trails




Up and at 'em! Today I was a little slow to get off the futon and start the a.m. wake-up routine.   After this less-than-firecracker start, by 6:53 a.m. I was eating breakfast as She began refilling Hummingbird feeders, watering flowers, and sweeping the decks.  He usually rolls out of bed later, makes coffee (taste bad, smell good), and sits down at his desk to read newspapers on-line (so much for the old-time 4-leggeds' bringing in the paper!).  I managed to solicit a few golf ball tosses from Her as she weeded the flagstone patio.  He in turn threw my rope toy a couple of times before biking off into the morning heat.  Wanting to go myself, I begin talking at Her to motivate her to stop whatever She is doing and pay attention to my needs.  This plan succeeded after about 10 minutes when She finally cinched on my collar, grabbed the pack (with my H2O and bowl), and rushed me into the truck as we headed to the switchbacks for an early hike.  She is chatty today suggesting we look for Him along the trail.  He likes to bike the hike.  I smell only passing wisps of his scent from drops of sweat, a step-off the bike maneuver to avoid sliding off the trail, and an occasion whiff of him brushing against Oregon Grape or Gambrel Oak.  His tracks are clear and easy to follow, which I do sensing He is not far ahead.  Loose rocks and downed branches coupled with sharp uphill turns make the trail slow going (or is it because She didn't have her a.m. coffee?).  I enjoy the green lushness of the plants which grow over the trail like the sandstone arches of the desert or the concrete tunnels cutting viciously through mountains.

Lots of smells on the trails this a.m.; lots of visitors checking in and leaving messages along the way.  I can't identify them all, but coyote, perhaps weasel, and maybe bear have crossed this trail.  More importantly is the deep, rich, dense smell of the plants all around.  The smell of dirt fills my nose (sometimes making me sneeze) and I can almost see the life that exists below the surface of the soil.  I often follow the bugs under the carpet with my nose (one more reason She reviles the carpeting in the basement); following their random trajectory.  It is harder on the trail to follow the worms or beetles that lay beneath.

Today's hike was one I haven't taken since I was a young pup.  When (according to family lore) I was nicknamed Danger Dog because I leapt off rocks and trees with abandon.  I don't recall doing this, but I have seen the photos in my puppy album.  I guess I have always been an adventurous  trail hound.

2 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

Bugs under the carpet my patootie! That's carpetpad paste you're smelling. Probably not vegetarian, thus the confusion.

Scott Abbott said...

Hey Danger Dog. I miss your writing. Post something new soon.